Historic Downtown Sonora
Old Ice House Ranch Museum   *   206  S.  Water  Ave.   Sonora,  TX   76950   *   325-387-3754
HomeMuseum, Historic Jail & DepotOther Things to See & Do

Old Ice House Ranch Museum
The Old Ice House Ranch Museum is housed in a real former ice house which was built in 1923 and operated as such for several years, with the local office of West Texas Utilities in the West side. As Sonora moved into the 1940's, ice house operations became unprofitable for small towns and the museum space became a meat processing and a frozen food locker plant, finally ending its commercial career as a BBQ smoke house. After West Texas Utilities vacated the building they donated it to the Sutton County Historical Society for use as a museum. The Museum and Gift Shop are owned and operated by the Sutton County Historical Society, which also operates a substantial local history archive at another location along with the Mier's Home Museum, a two room preservation of one of Sonora's earliest houses, and the John and Mildred Cauthorn Building, which is the relocated and restored Santa Fe Railroad Depot which served Sonora during the life of the railroad here. The Depot is rented to the public for public meetings, receptions, weddings and other community gatherings and includes an outdoor amphitheater. The amphitheater is the home of the annual Sonora Easter Sunrise service.
Pioneer Families
Lawmen & Outlaws
Remnants of Ranching
Designed by Creative Graphics of Rockport Texas
Historic Sutton County Jail 
From 1891 to 1980, this native limestone building housed murderers, gang members, thieves, criminals of all kinds and illegal immigrants awaiting deportation. For a while, it was a makeshift hospital. It is in almost exactly the same condition as in 1891 and you can view it on our Guided Downtown Tour.
John & Mildred Cauthorn Depot
The Santa Fe Depot, built in 1930, watched over the busy stock and wool and mohair shipping activities that tied the economy of Sutton County to the rest of the nation. In 1977 the last Sonora train whistled itself into History and the depot remained vacant until 1986 when the Sutton County Historical Society received the old building as a donation. Through donations by the Vanderstucken family, the John and Mildred Cauthorn Trust, and hundreds of other contributions it was renovated into a community meeting place. The outdoor amphitheater is located behind the Depot. Contact us to rent the facility today for your events.